INSANITY by Team Beachbody is 63-days of high-intensity cardio that will get you in shape. The workouts are literally insane and will test you as much mentally as physically. It’s no lie when people say you will be sweating more than you ever have–my hair was damp and dripping with sweat, usually within 15 minutes of the workout, and my hair is never damp from a workout.
Every 2 weeks, a fit test is penciled into the schedule so that you can track your progress. Although I did not complete the last 4 days of the workout regimen due to personal reasons, my fitness test results improved substantially. INSANITY won’t make you big, but you will get stronger and leaner–I noticed the biggest gains in my calves, core, and triceps (in that order). To cut to the chase, here are 5 tips for those of you new to INSANITY.
5 simple tips to maximize INSANITY results
- Perfect the forms. The Dig Deeper DVD goes through the basic forms used in all the workouts. Learn it well and learn it properly. Compromising form may be easier, but it’s really no pain no gain with INSANITY.
- Fit Test isn’t just about reps. An extension of the first tip. Some people compromise their form just to squeeze out more reps in the Fit Test. The trade-off is that you’re making it much more difficult on your next Fit Test if you want to eclipse your old results. It also fudges the numbers–did my numbers really improve due to improved strength/cardio?
- Wear cross-trainers. If you’re working out on a solid surface, you may want to invest in a good pair of cross-trainers. With all the jumping and footwork involved, you will want maximum flexibility and support for your feet. Everybody is different though and some people do the workouts on their bare feet. I tried this, along with running shoes, and experienced a lot of pain in my arches.
- Stick to the schedule. If you’re like most people, you will crave a break from the schedule. Don’t give in and keep on fighting. Promising yourself only a day off will turn into days and then weeks. Keep pushing play.
- Use supplements. INSANITY recommends their shakeology drink, but I used good ol’ whey protein instead. A month into the workouts, I switched to a whey protein shake with glutamine and BCAAs, and my recovery nearly skyrocketed. Instead of heading into a workout with sore calves or arms, my muscles weren’t even sore at all. Faster recovery means more reps, and more reps means bigger gains.